This is a recipe for using up a Christmas turkey or chicken, gammon joint, veg etc. You will need a large saucepan for the veg and pasta, a small saucepan for the sauce and a casserole dish or similar to bake it in.
- Cooked turkey/chicken, chopped
- Cooked gammon, chopped
- Broccoli, cut into florets
- Any other veg that needs using
- Penne pasta
- Cheddar or Red Leicester cheese
- Plain flour
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, chopped
- Celery, chopped
- Black pepper
- Dried oregano
- Olive oil
Meat, Broccoli and Pasta
- First cook the broccoli and any other veg in a large saucepan in the minimum of water. You will need enough veg to about half fill the dish you want to cook it in.
- While this is cooking, arrange the meat in the cooking dish, you will need enough to cover the bottom.
- When the veg is cooked reserve the cooking liquid and arrange the veg on top of the meat.
- Use the same saucepan to cook the pasta. You will need enough to fill up the other half of the cooking dish when cooked.
- While the pasta is cooking cover the bottom of a small saucepan with olive oil and add chopped onion, garlic, celery, black pepper and oregano.
- Cook the onions, etc over a low heat until the veg turns soft and add about a heaped tablespoon of flour and stir it up. You will probably need to add more oil, or it will be too dry.
- Add the reserved veg cooking liquid and enough milk to half fill the pan. Keep stirring to stop it catching on the pan and add more milk as necessary.
- Add the cheese, chopped into small pieces and stir it in until it melts. The sauce needs to be runny enough to percolate down through the veg and pasta to the meat underneath.
Finish the Dish
- Drain the pasta and add to the dish and cover with the sauce.
- Grate cheese over the top of the dish, grind some black pepper over it and sprinkle with oregano.
- Place in a hot oven, 200°C for about 20 minutes until the top is browned and the sauce is bubbling.
- Turkey Cabbage Wraps
- Mushrooms and Soy Sauce
- Butter Beans in Tomato Sauce
- Vegetables cooked in olive oil
- Chorizo Egg and Tomato Toasted Sandwich