This is not authentic Risotto Milanese, that requires beef marrow and saffron. I refuse to pay the exotic prices demanded for saffron in the UK, and I don’t have any beef marrow.
Lunch for two.
- Olive oil
- Butter, small knob
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- Medium onion, chopped finely
- Mushrooms, chopped, if liked
- Chicken stock pot
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Boiling water, about 1 1/4 cups
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Add the knob of butter to a medium heavy bottomed pan, add a good glug of olive oil and place on a low heat.
- Add the chopped onion and allow to cook until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, if using, rice, turmeric and stir to coat the rice.
- Add the stock pot and water, stirring to ensure the stock pot has melted and well stirred in.
- Cover and allow to cook until the rice is done and the water is nearly all absorbed.
- Stir in the grated cheese and leave to steam, covered, for a few minutes.
I added mushrooms because they were there, waiting to be used, and the cheese was a small lump left in the packet.